NOL Metropolitan Lounge -- what is it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone.

In December, I am taking the Crescent from NOL to NYP for the first time. Can anyone tell me what the Metropolitan Lounge is like in New Orleans? In some very old posts I read on here, it sounds like it is for first-class passengers who may or may not be boarded first. Is that still the case? Is there any coffee available in the lounge or any other amenties? Are there any places to have a nice breakfast at the station before getting on the train? As I understand it, there is no breakfast served on this train.

Thanks!

-- Jackie

It's a coffee machine, a table and some chairs! Enjoy.

If you go to the ticket counter they will give you a code for the lounge. In the lounge there is coffee and water available. The conductor will come to the lounge to board the sleepers first. On the train breakfast will be serverd shortly after the train departs. So wait till you get on the train to eat.

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

Is breakfast served? When I called Amtrak tonight to inquire about what meals were served, the agent told me that breakfast was not served from NOL to NYP, which seemed odd to me.

She also told me that lunch was not served on the Crescent from New York to New Orleans.

Is that true?

-- Jackie

If you go to the ticket counter they will give you a code for the lounge. In the lounge there is coffee and water available. The conductor will come to the lounge to board the sleepers first. On the train breakfast will be serverd shortly after the train departs. So wait till you get on the train to eat.

The "Lounge" in NOL is the Magnolia Room.

Although I have never been in it, I hear that I have not missed much! :blink: Is is as far from a Lounge as it can be. There is a room, no attendant, I hear a coffee pot, a TV and a few chairs (like you would find in a doctor's office). I hear many passengers would rather wait in the main waiting room. (When I was in NOL for the SL, I went coach so I did not get to use it - but I think I saw 3 people go in - and 1 of those left!)

The NOL station is also the Greyhound Terminal. (Amtrak uses the right 1/2 and Greyhound uses the left 1/2. Security is good and keeps the 2 apart.) There is a Subway and another snack bar in the station - but I'm not sure what time they open.

When I called Amtrak tonight to inquire about what meals were served, the agent told me that breakfast was not served from NOL to NYP, which seemed odd to me.She also told me that lunch was not served on the Crescent from New York to New Orleans.

Is that true?

-- Jackie
:huh:

Breakfast is served upon departure from NOL and again before you get to WAS, lunch is served before you get to BHM and again before you get to NYP!

When I called Amtrak tonight to inquire about what meals were served, the agent told me that breakfast was not served from NOL to NYP, which seemed odd to me.She also told me that lunch was not served on the Crescent from New York to New Orleans.

Is that true?

-- Jackie
:huh:

Breakfast is served upon departure from NOL and again before you get to WAS, lunch is served before you get to BHM and again before you get to NYP!

OK, let me see if I have this right:

on the Crescent, if you get on in NYP and ride to NOL, you get the following meals:

Lunch

Dinner

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

On the Crescent, if you ride from NOL to NYP, you get the following meals:

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Breakfast

Lunch

Do I have that right?

I am actually taking a Regional train from Boston to NYP to catch the Crescent and then doing the same thing on the return. I am not too concerned about missing a lunch or a dinner not offered on the train, but I can't miss breakfast or I get cranky.

I think the agent was confused anyway. She kept telling me that the Crescent was not a single-level train!

I'm not certain about lunch departing NYP (I've never started that far north), but all the other meals are correct.

If it were not a single level train, it will be a convertible after it gets to Baltimore and NY! :lol: (A Superliner will not fit in those tunnels!)

I don't don't believe you get lunch departing NYP. First meal is dinner departing Washington if I remember right.

Lunch is not served out of NY, the first meal will be dinner, and they'll try to get you to go to dinner before the train gets to DC, that way they have an empty diner for the crowds getting on in DC.

Otherwise the meal list above is correct.

Was just there last week, basically what the others have told you is the scoop on this train, if you want to be in the Magnolia Room (show me the flowers!), get there early, there are only like 6 chairs and two small tables, coffee is brewing but no attendants are present!

They will comne and get you to board before the coach passengers, sometimes and Amtrak cop, most times a conductor!Youll have plenty to eat on the train,the ride is a little rough through Alabama, but usually its an on time train

and not too crowded before or after Atlanta! Ive never ridden the WAS-NYP section but it shouldnt be any different than any regional on this line. Have a great trip, NOL is a fun place! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never ridden the WAS-NYP section but it shouldnt be any different than any regional on this line.
Actually, it's not like any Regional! :)

It uses AMII cars (not AMI cars), and all stations in the NEC are either R or D stops! So there is no local traffic! Thus northbound, once somebody gets off, there will be no more getting on! (You won't find that on any Regional! :lol: )

Hi everyone and thanks to all of you for the information!

I am excited about this trip for a lot of reasons, but mostly because my mom is going with me. This is her second try at an Amtrak trip in a sleeper. Her first trip was on the Cardinal in a sleeper and it was interrupted by a mudslide and heavy rains somewhere in West Virginia! She had to get off the train and do the whole bus thing, and by the time she arrived in Boston, she was a soggy, unhappy person! The little time she was on the train, however, she did enjoy. She has also been on a few short Amtrak trips with me (Boston to New York and Cincinnati to Chicago.)

I am hoping that this trip will be less eventful! She will have her own Viewliner as my husband is riding with me in one. She will have room to stretch out and snooze although she said she may want to go sit out in the lounge car for a bit and people-watch.

She and I have both been to pre-Katrina New Orleans, but my husband has never been, so it will be a first for him, too, of sorts.

- Jackie

She will have her own Viewliner as my husband is riding with me in one. She will have room to stretch out and snooze
:lol:

Sounds nice to OWN your own Viewliner! Most people just use 1 of the 9 roomettes, 2 bedrooms or the H Room in one of the Viewliners on the train. But to have your own car! :lol:

(The Viewliner is the whole sleeping car. I know what you meant.)

Ive never ridden the WAS-NYP section but it shouldnt be any different than any regional on this line.
Actually, it's not like any Regional! :)

It uses AMII cars (not AMI cars), and all stations in the NEC are either R or D stops! So there is no local traffic! Thus northbound, once somebody gets off, there will be no more getting on! (You won't find that on any Regional! :lol: )
The train being discharge-only northbound on the corridor also has the effect of allowing the Crescent to be early to stations north of Washington. Sometimes significantly early. I've often gotten to 30th St half an hour or more ahead of schedule, and almost never late. (There, now that I've said it I've virtually guaranteed I'll be late into Philly when I take the Crescent on Sunday!)

Also, in addition to the AMII cars, it of course carries a full diner. No regional I know of gives you the opportunity to leisurely eat Key Lime Pie between Baltimore and Wilmington :cool:

Oh Traveler..you are the wit! :)

Just wait until I hit you up to help me figure out how to max my AGR points and ride as many trains as you have! :)

-- Jackie

She will have her own Viewliner as my husband is riding with me in one. She will have room to stretch out and snooze

Sounds nice to OWN your own Viewliner! Most people just use 1 of the 9 roomettes, 2 bedrooms or the H Room in one of the Viewliners on the train. But to have your own car! :lol:

Um, are the other 3 roomettes reserved for you? :unsure:

Because otherwise there are 12 roomettes in the normal Viewliner car. :lol:

In December, I am taking the Crescent from NOL to NYP for the first time. Can anyone tell me what the Metropolitan Lounge is like in New Orleans?
It is an embarrassment to AMTRAK and not worth even trying to find.

If I were you: grab a nice breakfast at a NO fine eatery, grab a cab to the station arriving 15 min before departure, and go aboard.

And honestly, none of the Lounges I have visited are really worth much time. About the only thing they offer is a little quiet from the noise of the main terminal (ie chicage and washington union)

In December, I am taking the Crescent from NOL to NYP for the first time. Can anyone tell me what the Metropolitan Lounge is like in New Orleans?

If I were you: grab a nice breakfast at a NO fine eatery, grab a cab to the station arriving 15 min before departure, and go aboard.

And honestly, none of the Lounges I have visited are really worth much time. About the only thing they offer is a little quiet from the noise of the main terminal (ie chicage and washington union)
You are correct about the Magnolia Room but the lounge in Boston is pretty nice along with NYP and WAS, I havent been in PDX or ST Paul or STL yet,

but with the exception oif NOL they are a big improvement over the cattle car waiting rooms in most stations!

No, most, although not all, allow for pre-boarding ahead of the masses. That can often be a big perk, especially if you want your pick of seats. Most do offer some snacks and refresments. All have AC, even when the station doesn't or like NYP where the AC is just semi-helpful out in the main station, but quite nice in the lounge.

And peronally I find having a nice seat to sit it, rather than a hard bench to be very nice. Not to mention being able to walk into the bathroom and not finding someone taking a shower in the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back