New Member here!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in New Zealand but am coming over to the States later this year. I haven't been on Amtrak before but I'll be going on the California Zephyr from San Fran to Chicago, with a detour at Grand Junction to Durango for the Silverton train. And a night at Ottumwa. Then Chicago to Charlottesville. After that to New York by bus... the costs are adding up.

Sounds like a fun trip. The Durango and Silverton is well worth the detour. How are you getting to Durango? If you rent a car, there is an Enterprise office 4 blocks from the station. The drive gets very scenic as you get closer to Durango. The mountain passes north of Silverton are not for the faint of heart. Ophir is a nice little town in the mountains and a good place to stop for lunch.

I live in New Zealand but am coming over to the States later this year. I haven't been on Amtrak before but I'll be going on the California Zephyr from San Fran to Chicago, with a detour at Grand Junction to Durango for the Silverton train. And a night at Ottumwa. Then Chicago to Charlottesville. After that to New York by bus... the costs are adding up.
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited.

Sounds like a fun trip. The Durango and Silverton is well worth the detour. How are you getting to Durango? If you rent a car, there is an Enterprise office 4 blocks from the station. The drive gets very scenic as you get closer to Durango. The mountain passes north of Silverton are not for the faint of heart. Ophir is a nice little town in the mountains and a good place to stop for lunch.
I won't be driving on my holiday. I have to watch the pennies and here in NZ we drive on the left, I don't think it would be very relaxing having to concentrate...
There's a bus down from Grand Junction. I'll be at the front in a window seat hopefully. Sounds like a nice ride.

Back